Sunday, November 23, 2014

Lisa M. Collins What is She Thankful For?

When Cindy asked me to write a thankfulness post I immediately knew my topic. Ever since the November of 2008 when the Lord showed me that I had the gift of storytelling and the skills to share that gift with others, I have been most thankful for National Novel Writing Month. The fall of '08 was one of the lowest of my life. I had been laid off from one of the best day jobs I had ever had and honestly I was asking the Lord a lot of 'why me' questions. It was in that search I found NaNoWriMo on the Internet. Have you heard of the program? ThankfulnessEvery fall writers across the world connect in person and online to do what some have called the impossible...Write a novel (50K words) in the month of November. What do we call this madness? National Novel Writing Month, or for short NaNoWriMo! The program gave me an outlet for my fears and anger of being let go, and I learned to put all my emotions into words. I wrote an YA epic fantasy set in a future Earth. The trials and tests the main character had to go through to save her world helped renew my faith that God, indeed, has a plan for each of us. He was with me. He was for me, and I was going to be okay. Participant-2014-Facebook-ProfileThis year I am doing a paranormal mystery that I have decided to call: Operation Xander. You can check out the link and follow my progress. Or if you want to join me in the wonder and craziness that is NaNoWriMo add me as a buddy and join a local community of writers. Of course you are welcome to join my local group even if you live on the other side of the planet. We call ourselves the White County NaNo on Facebook.

Lisa’s non-fiction has been published in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette and the Dead Mule School of Southern Literature. Her Sci-Fi story, The Tree of Life, is in Holdfast 2014 Anthology. She is currently writing a web series, Starborne Academy. Lisa copy edited and researched on Understanding Global Slavery by University of California Press, edits for Metahuman Press, and is an upcoming creative contributor with Pro Se Productions. She is a Sally A. Williams Grant winner for writing from the Arkansas Arts Council. Her most recent non-fiction endeavor is a series of cookbooks based around five main recipes that can be adapted into other delicious meals. The first book in the series is Five Recipes Every Southern Cook Should Master. lisa collins header

No comments:

Post a Comment